AML Round #2

Remission counter

Christy's Cancer Counter

Friday, November 26, 2010

Bone marrow biopsy....

I wrote this a year ago when I began my journey with AML, but it has all resurfaced with the prospect of facing my next biopsy on Thursday (12.2.10) So I wanted to post my words here too.....all of them true as the moment I wrote them
"Procedural sedation is defined as "a technique of administering sedatives or dissociative agents with or without analgesics to induce a state that allows the patient to tolerate unpleasant procedures while maintaining cardiorespiratory function."[1] It was previously referred to as conscious sedation"

I was taken down at 11ish this morning for my bone marrow biopsy. It was to be a CT guided conscious sedation biopsy. I was given propfol and fentanyl... aparently enough to knock out a horse. I was strapped to a table face down and slid into the CT machine as the Xray tech (Dr Nico wasnt there) numbed the back of my right side. They did both aspiration and biopsy with me screaming and crying my head off. Only to remove the needle, discover they hadnt extracted enough and had to put it back in. See picture below. They then had to use a bone hammer to get it the last way through my bone....
praying this time is easier....

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget