AML Round #2

Remission counter

Christy's Cancer Counter

Friday, June 3, 2011

Remembering Hailey....


This picture is very special to me, not only is a picture of one of the strongest most resilient women I have ever met (besides my Mom who died of breast cancer on her 51st birthday in 1998) but this is a picture of one of my guardian angels.
I have a very emotional story attached to this specific picture.  During my induction chemo in Dec of 09/ Jan of 2010 I met this amazing woman in the oncology ward at ARMC.  We had rooms across the hall from each other and on our good days we would visit, talk share stories of our families and daughters.  Her husband was one of those very special individuals that truly knows how to be a caregiver to this horrible disease, not only was he there for Hailey there were several times where his kindness was outstretched towards me.  A piece of pizza or a bag of candy his attention when so far toward the soothing of my hurting heart and spirit during one of the darkest times of my life thus far.
But that is not all.  2 very short days after I was released to come home after my induction chemo I found myself back in the ER with severe complications, neurological problems, unbelievable pain and discomfort that resulted in a partially delusional state.  After several hours in the ER they decided that I was too sick to return home and they admitted me back into the oncology ward.  Shortly after arriving in the room I noticed this picture of Hailey and James sitting on the wall in front of my bed... at the time my mind was not clear and some how I had convinced myself that she had gone on to Heaven and had left her image there to look over me.  I spent that whole night laying on my side shaking uncontrollably from the neurological side effects of the poison chemo staring at this picture of this beautiful amazing strong woman who had so touched my soul.  After much pain management and several hours of sleep I was finally able to articulate my concerns to the nurse to learn that Hailey had been released to go home a few hours before I had been admitted to the same room and she had simply forgotten her picture....that night forever changed me and over the next year and a half Haily and I spent several more visits in the oncology ward together and we both have had our highs and lows.... I am so very grief stricken to share that Heaven gained another angel this week....

Hailey Rochelle Gill of Jefferson, who was diagnosed in June 2008 with peripheral nerve sheath sarcoma, a rare cancer of the connective tissue that surrounds the nerves, died Saturday from complications of the disease at Athens Regional Medical Center. She was 32

You will forever live in the hearts of those who loved you... me included!

4 comments:

  1. C, that was beautiful and sad and touching all together. Thank you for sharing Hailey's story. But damn, f@5# cancer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! There are tears all over my iPad.

    CCKMA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. incredible story!!! thanks sooo much for sharing!!! Hailey will be missed in a way I can't even TRY to describe! All the pain and suffering that she had to endure makes my pain so petty. I love you Hails Nah!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget